As an adjacent property owner, I oppose to the new Ruis Hotel on Highway 2 East. Here are some reasons:
• This lot is not large enough for a 65 unit, four-story hotel
• I oppose the 50-foot height.
• Highway buffer reduced from 10 feet to zero.
• Deviation from 15% landscape area to very minimal – almost nothing.
• Deviation from minimal parking area (see details in preliminary site plan) – meaning hotel patrons or employees will be parking at Marantette Park parking area.
• Deviation from 2nd Ave E buffer – from 10 feet to zero
• No bicycle path.
• Minimal community area – the plan is to utilize the Marantette Park for hotel patrons use.
• Does our fire department have the ability to reach the top floor of a 4 story hotel or will we need to purchase a bigger ladder truck?
• Currently traffic from Glacier Inn primarily uses 2nd Avenue. The new hotel will primarily be funneling traffic onto the highway through its own entrance/exit. Traffic is already an issue with Grove St/3rd Ave not aligning – now you would be adding one more entrance/exit along with 2nd Ave and Iron Fitness, which is a huge safety issue.
Mick Ruis continues to request numerous variance and zoning changes to construct what he wants for the City of Columbia Falls. What is the purpose of having a Growth Policy with guidelines if the Planning and Zoning Board and the City Council continue to approve whatever Mick Ruis requests. What about the citizens of Columbia Falls?