Monday, January 17, 2022
8.0°F

Home in Coram damaged by fire on Sunday

| January 12, 2022 7:55 AM

By HILARY MATHESON

For the Hungry Horse News

A Coram house sustained considerable damage, but is not a total loss, after a fire broke out Sunday night, according to Coram-West Glacier Fire Department Fire Chief Walter Tabb. Firefighters were dispatched to the one-story house on Wishert Lane around 7 p.m., to extinguish the fire, which ignited from a heating source being used to thaw frozen water pipes, Tabb said. The fire was extinguished within roughly an hour.

People inside the house at the time were able to evacuate safely and no injuries were reported.

The house had fire, smoke and water damage.

“We had to breach a wall to check for fire extension,” Tabb said.

Fire departments assisting in the fire were Martin City, Hungry Horse and Bad Rock.

With the freezing temperatures, Tabb offered some safety reminders for people to keep in mind during the winter months.

“When thawing pipes, no matter what source your using, stay with the thawing practice until finished,” he said.

He advised people to regularly maintain heating systems, particularly after snowy or icy weather.

“Even if you have gas or a propane furnace, make sure your vents are clear of all ice and snow,” he said because a lot of ice could impair ventilation and lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide in homes.

This led Tabb to remind people to also check carbon monoxide and fire detectors on a regular basis.

Recent Headlines