The identity of a woman who was killed in a house fire Feb. 28 off Central Avenue in Martin City has been identified as Karen Short, 54.
Martin City Fire Chief Tom Torpen said the fire appears to have started from a faulty wood stove. Short’s body was found near a door, he said, but neighbors noted it was an entryway that wasn’t normally used by the family.
Karen Short lived in the home with her elderly father, Ray. He was not home at the time of the fire.
The home was completely destroyed in the flames and Torpen said it was impossible to tell if it had fire detectors. About 20 firefighters responded to the scene. Torpen said any home in the district that needs a fire detector can pick up one for free at the fire hall.